Sunday, September 23, 2007

Update: Trance & Queens to Love

Back in the beginning of 2005, when this blog was in its infancy, I somehow found myself at Trance, a bar in Itaewon with a fun show of boys who have transformed themselves into fierce women on parade. Now that I've moved to Itaewon, I find myself there on a regular basis. I've seen queens come and go, wigs that needed to go with the last queen that left, and I even built up the courage once to venture into that scary little room they call a bathroom up in there.
About a month ago I ran into this queen in front of Queen (the bar), but she wasn't all queened up, in fact she was just Jimmy. There's something quite delicate and striking about his face that makes him unforgettable. He used to perform at Trance years ago, but now he's PUCK in the Donkey Show!

The Donkey Show is now in Seoul playing at a theater in Daehagno. If you haven't seen it, go! It's a disco version of A Midsummer Night's Dream, IN KOREAN. They translated all the songs and it's all performed in the round; like you're in a club. And Jimmy's in it. Jimmy studied ballet and he does pirouettes in those boots. It's a sight worth seeing.

On that first cold night to Trance I met Ely and a his Korean friend. This angelic Korean man paid my cover charge, danced with me all night, and then basically disappeared. One night months and months and months later, I saw him again and he reintroduced himself, as Bada (on the left above with headphones), the boyfriend of the ever so adored Keith (right, pictured above with white sunglasses)! Crazy.
I know that Trance isn't for everyone, but I love it. Femininity is such a performance. These "ladies" have mastered the art of creating that illusion and then they have a lot more fun with it by, at times, going a bit overboard with it. I always feel like I have so much to learn from them about life; about hair, make up, and costume; and about being a woman and loving every moment of it.

Trance & Queen are next to each other on "Homo Hill" in Itaewon. From Itaewon station go out of exit #3. Walk straight till the next intersection and make a right. Make a left at the second street and walk up the super steep hill. They are in the middle of the block on the left.

2 comments:

Rose said...

you're like pigpen from charlie brown, except instead of dirt, its a cloud of trannies that follows you everywhere.

And i know you'll think that's offensive, but I mean it as a COMPLIMENT.

misskoco said...

no, no, no. Being surrounded by trannies and drag queens, it would be like a dream come true.