Sunday, May 06, 2007

brunch

484506046 6E135A295EBRUNCH. It's not early in the morning, so it's not breakfast. It could be lunch time (or later), but you're eating breakfast food. That already is enough reason to love brunch, but for me it's more than just that. It's the fabulous laid back, I-have-all-the-time-in the-world, approach to dining. Spring and summer time brunch is by far the best due to the outdoor seating and people watching. There are days I wake up aching for a good brunch, and for some time I just could not find it in Korea.
In the past 6 months I've discovered some great brunch spots and just this week 2 new ones popped up.

My original favorite for brunch was Indigo in the HBC. I like the staff and the food is pretty good, but the service is not the best (food is often cold, or doesn't come at all) and I've now overdone that place and need new brunch. In some ways it feels like the dormitory cafeteria (with way better grub). Whenever I'm there I see someone I know. This is my regular local place to go when I don't feel like cooking. I'm lucky to have it, but I need variety.

A new cafe just opened half a block away from Indigo, called Habitat. They have organic teas, a chill atmosphere and mellow music to match. I dig their earthy toned interior with mismatched pieces of nicely designed furniture, and the menu is filled with exciting things I can't wait to explore. They have outdoor seating, but it's on the street which can be noisy at times. Habitat is brand new, so they have some work to do, but I'm looking forward to seeing how this place develops.

484506110 C3Cf1221D8 484540199 A49F269F3E






If I'm in the HBC area these days I walk up to Jule's Kitchen for her brunch. It's a bit pricey, about 10,000 won, but worth it. On top of that, she's totally lovely and her cakes are heavenly. Jule's Sandwich, a chicken salad with apples, is my favorite. I also recommend that you try the carrot cake, it'll rock your world. It's not often crowded so the food is made pretty quickly.

My all time favorite Hyehwa chill spot is Comfort Zone/The Living Room. Due to the size of my apartment, I quite literally made this bar my living room. It has a clientele of mostly Hyehwa locals, Sungkyunkwan University professors, international MBA students who live up the street, and ME! Until now I've felt like it's been my secret. I wanted Andy, the cute and friendly English-speaking owner, all to myself.

484539889 281213A093 484539781 A6A13A5EfcBut now they have brunch EVERYDAY from 11-4 and everyone should know. Andy's sister, Jessie, is awesome in the kitchen--she knows how to do brunch right and make it look beautiful. On most days you will find me there on the patio during my lunch break.

Their standard brunch plate has yummy potatoes, a couple strips of bacon, a bagel with jam and butter, some veggies, and eggs. I recommend the French toast.

See the comments for directions.

3 comments:

maxine said...

(I know this is very stupid question, but) where's the "HBC" area? anyway I think I'll go to the "comfort zone" sooner or later.The toasts look so beautiful!!
:)

misskoco said...

Haebangcheon, a short walk from Noksapyeong Station.

misskoco said...

I thought I might add some more info so you can find these great places.


Jules Kitchen
Mon 11-9, Tue (closed) Wed-Fri 11-9, Sat. & Sun. 10-6

Take subway line 6 to Noksapyeoung Station, Exit 2, walk straight to the underpass. Exit the underpass on the left, make the first right, and walk straight up the hill for one minute. You will see Jules Kitchen on the left.
02-749-9903

Indigo
Tues. to Fri., 8:30AM to midnight. 10:00AM to midnight, Sat. & Sun.

Take subway line 6 to Noksapyeoung Station, Exit 2. Walk straight along the tree lined street. Just past the underpass take the road that goes up the road and off to the left. Walk past the kimchipots up the hill towards Haebangcheon. Indigo is on the right just below Orange Tree.
02-749-0508

Habitat
Follow the instructions to Indigo. Continue walking up the hill just a bit. Habitat is also on the right.

Living Room
Take subway line 4, to Hyehwa Station, exit 4. Make a left right out of the exit and walk up the crazy street with loud shoe stores, the arcade, the cinema Fantaseum, the Body Shop, etc. At the end of the street you will reach an intersection and you will see Burger King and Subway. The Living Room is located down the little street between the two aformentioned fine eating establishments.

Eat well.