Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Dialogue in the Dark

Last week I went to the Seoul Arts Center to check out Dialogue in the Dark. It turned out to be one of the best exhibitions I've ever experienced. As explained in the exhibition info:

Visitors are lead by blind guides in small groups through specially constructed darkened rooms, in which scents, sounds, wind, temperatures and textures conveys the characteristics of daily environments, for example a park, a city or a bar. In the dark, the daily routine becomes a new experience. A reversion of roles is created: sighted people are torn out of their familiar environments; blind people provide them with security and a sense of orientation transmitting a world without pictures. The impact is remarkable: "Dialog in the Dark" have been presented in the last years in 17 countries throughout Europe, Asia and America.


Our guide, Christine, was a 20-year-old student with pretty decent English speking skills. We never saw her in the light, but I imagined she was adorable. She was really sweet, and without her guidance we would have never made it through the exhibition. There was absolutely NO LIGHT.

Since I consider myself to be a very visual person, I thought this experience would be excruciatingly painful and scary, but I enjoyed identifying things with my other senses. I kept having to laugh at myself when I would find something and say "I see a..." Of course, I didn't see anything, but that's the way I've been accustomed to talking about the existence of objects.

Basically, if you have the chance to see this show, GO! It was really impressive and unlike anything I've experienced before.

No comments: