Sunday, June 04, 2006

serendipity, flow, and spontaneity

Imagine a bunch of people in Korea, about 1,000+. Most of them are ex-pats, probably English teachers. Some are Korean, with a lot of style: punks, hippies, tattoo artists, musicians, open-minded types, etc. Many of them have traveled to far-off places. They have stories, most are college educated... and more importantly, they like to get their drink on, chill out, and just party. Now, all these (crazy) people decide to travel hours away from their homes to go to a pension (somewhat like a hotel/camp ground) in the country. They do this to see punk, ska, and experimental bands as well as to enjoy some funky djs. They expect to pitch tents (or stay in a hotel), get sweaty, possibly smelly, dirty, and most likely quite drunk.

I wasn't going to be one of these people. I had a date on Friday and every good intention to stay home and have a quiet weekend being productive.

Then, I was captured and seduced by a wave of spontaneity Friday night. I surrendered myself to it and let it take me far away from the city to the flow festival. Last minute--without any hotel reservations, train/bus tickets, or festival tickets--I decided I'd trek out to Gangcheon. This is completely out of character, but I simply let go and everything turned out just fine. I returned home sometime in the evening on Sunday rejuvininated and simultaneously completely drained of energy; however, I wouldn't dare regret going, for it was undoubtedly the best party I've been to in Korea. This weekend was filled with experiences, laughs, and insane times that could fill several posts.

I met and bumped into so many people. Some mentionables:
Jutta! Jutta! Jutta!
Taka - dj gutz from Japan. PS. he has great nipples
Jeff - aka Judonomi
Some of my favorite ladies: Rachel Lynn, Shelly, and their boyfriend Joel (who showed me his pierced nipples)
oh, and Sexual Chocolate (gotta love him too!)
Paul - the photographer
The HBC Boys: Chris & Jordan
Paul - with the cool pants that I met at soulshine
The nude model chick I bump into everywhere
My favorite drunken man-whores
Alicia, Elinza, Paddy, Don & his wife, Jin Seouk the tattooed party organizer, and a fascinating yoga woman named Rosa.

At some point on Friday night/Saturday morning I was dancing to some lovely loud music with a large group of people and realized I knew and enjoyed all the people around me. We danced together--smiles on our faces, out in the woods, with stars above us, and dirt under our feet... ahhh, it was simply fabulous.

I went to sleep sometime Saturday morning completely content. I slept better than I've slept in months, had a really peaceful dream, and then woke up to another gorgeous day. I took a walk, went into town, and decided to stay another night.

yummy dalkalbi. shovel included.

2 comments:

Shells Bells said...

It was nice to see you again it had been a very long time :) RL and I will have to come to your cookie party sounds like a good time!

Rachel Lynn said...

Plus the drag show. We are so there! I'm cheering already!
And I second Shells, it was great to see you!