Sunday, May 07, 2006

all your base is belong to us


This afternoon, I had french toast for brunch, in America... or at least some surreal version of it. At times I can be harsh and extremely critical, particularly of anything related to the US Military. However, I had a lovely afternoon visiting Youngsan Military Base. (Did I really just write that?)

Things that bugged me out (mostly in good ways):
The vast amount of space they have in the middle of Seoul.
A driving range, a soccer field, schools, a hotel, a theatre and more I didn't get to explore.
US Postal Service mailboxes.
People speaking in English.
Black people. (Woah! Don't see much of that 'round here.)
People paying for things with US currency. Five dollar bills look funny. They're little and long.
Landscaping. It much less sterile that I imagined. I guess somewhere in my head I kind of expected things to look a bit like MASH.

It was nice to see random people smile at me, and even say, "hello" just because they were standing next to me. On the other hand, the whole place is a bizarre little bubble. Military people can stay on base, never have to leave, and never really get to know much about the foreign country they live in because they don't have to interact with it.


As a side note, I really miss brunch.

2 comments:

misuchan said...

I'm sure that if you read my blog you would more understand why us soldiers don't go out and see Korea that much. We don't all work Mon-Fri 9-5 desk jobs. The post may be nice, but we're in the Army, afterall.

Anonymous said...

You may want to ask your friend to sign you on again; there's a weekly all-you-can-eat King Crab night at the Main Post Club.