Sunday, April 09, 2006

the candy man

candy manI made a new friend last week when I bought a couple of antique paper dolls. This guy, The Candy Man, loads up his old Chevrolet pickup truck with candy and antique/old school toys and what not, and sells it on the street. There is something beautiful about all that sugar in one place. I've seen him two weeks in a row now, and despite my awful broken Korean, he insists on talking to me. We can hardly communicate, but he seemed to enjoy my company and got a kick out of trying to teach me new words. He asked all sorts of questions I don't understand. It was really quite a trip.

sugar sugar and more sugarToday, as a reward for sitting with him for a while, I got to try all kinds of candy and he gave me a box of those fun little paper things that explode and make a loud sound when you throw them on the ground. I love those!

Then this cute director comes up and starts talking to us--to me in English and to Ajossi in hangukmal. And all I could hear in my head was that 50 cent song, I'll take you to the candy shop, I'll let you lick the lollipop, go head girl don't you stop, and it just ruined the completely innocent nature of the whole thing. So, I had to leave. Till next week...

2 comments:

Papa Watson said...

How about the words to the song Candyman as sung in Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory? They put a little different spin on a candyman compared to 50 cent.

CANDYMAN

Who can take a sunrise,
Sprinkle it with dew?
Cover it in chocolate and a miracle or two…
The candyman, the candyman can,
The candyman can 'cause he mixes it with love
and makes the world taste good…

Who can take a rainbow,
Wrap it in a sigh?
Soak it in the sun and make the stra'bry lemon pie
The candyman? The candyman can…
The candyman can 'cause he mixes it with love
and makes the world taste good…

The Candyman makes
everything he bakes
Satisfying and delicious.
Talk about your childhood wishes.
You can even eat the dishes!

Who can take tomorrow,
Dip it in a dream?
Separate the sorrow and collect up all the cream,
The candyman? The Candyman can, the candyman can…
The candyman can 'cause he mixes it with love
and makes the world taste good…
And the world tastes good
'cause the candyman thinks it should…

annamatic said...

I think the Cibo Matto version of the Candy Man would make a groovy soundtrack for hanging out with neighborhood candy-selling ajoshis...