Saturday, January 07, 2006

new ish

The word of the day for January 1, 2006 is recycled. Now, what I mean is that the word vim (power; force; energy; spirit; activity; vigor), was also the word of the day on Wednesday December 4, 2002 and on Monday November 27, 2000. Obviously, an oldie but a goodie, or someone's getting lazy over in the word of the day department. Regardless, I hope to start off this new year with new vim.


I returned from my week in the states charged with excitement and heaps of new ish to think about and explore. One of my absolute favorite things to read is the NYTimes Magazine. The Year in Ideas issue was full of fun stuff. Including:


One thing that surely could mess a person up is rape. Thus, something like this new anti-rape condom, The Rapex, is an interesting development. It's meant to empower women, though critics say that it is like a medieval device sending a "retrograde message that women should be responsible for their own safety," when really it's a societal issue.

I got a chance to go to Toys in Babeland during my stay; I wonder what they think of The Rapex. I love that store. They have fun stuff to play with, really knowledgeable and approachable staff, and books by Tony Ward (growing up the Wards were our neighbors--the Philly art community is colorful).

On my vacation, quite literally, I completely lost track of time. I had no idea what was going on. The phrase "existence beyond exhaustion," kept coming to mind. At some point, I got to catch up on some stuff I've missed. Then additionally, even if I wasn't completely delirious, things like R. Kelly's Trapped in the Closet still wouldn't make sense.

I bought some cds. A couple weeks ago I bought some stuff I've been meaning to own for some time: Erykah Badu (Frequency and Mama's Gun), Outcast (Speakerboxxx/The Love Below), and some Jamiroquai (Dynamite). I got a surprise visit from my boy MUN! and we went the Tower on Broad to check up on Papa Dupree's mural, and per his recommendation, I pick up John Legend and some Common (Be).




My Free Will Astrology forecast for 2006:

The coming months will not be a time for less talk and more action, my fellow Cancerian, but for more talk and more action. Here are other prescriptions to help you get the most out of 2006: Go on wilder adventures and entertain fewer superstitions. Indulge in fewer mood swings and invest in an experience that will serve as the best anchor you've ever had. Explore your secrets more aggressively, but keep fewer secrets. Work harder to know the difference between true intuitions and fearful delusions. Feel less remorse and more forgiveness. Cultivate wetter love and dryer humor. Commit yourself to faster promise-keeping and slower fault-finding.

Wilder adventures... hmmm. I guess I'll have to come up with bigger dreams. As for all I wanted to accomplish while in NYC. Got to see some people, and that felt really great. I didn't do all that I had hoped to, but I did a bunch of really enjoyable stuff I hadn't intended on doing. I guess that leaves reason to go again soon.



From the TO DO List:
eat food from Bonsignor
get a smoothie from liquiteria.
buy lots of granola, deodorant, and toothpaste with fluoride
eat falafel
have pizza from Two Boots
drink a mojito, or two
buy sexy panties and bras
buy books or magazines (IN ENGLISH!)
play with Toys in Babeland
Jameson, on the rocks
see a movie at one of the Landmark Cinemas
I wouldn't mind dancing
standing on a rooftop
seeing someone famous in the street
walk around the village, LES, and Union Square
bumping into Hotdog, the crackwhore from Tompkins Square Park, would top it off

1 comment:

Kurios1978 said...

The Rapex thingamacallit sounds nasty... ouch! Reminds me of Southpark episode with Gelgamek aliens. :P

http://www.answers.com/topic/gelgamek