Tuesday, December 06, 2005

movie binge

About a month ago I rented Talk to Her (Hable Con Ella) on VHS. I forgot that the subtitles would be in Korean. I decided to watch it anyway. I tried to listen carefully to the Spanish and meanwhile I read the Korean. My brain was swimming and I was only picking up fragments. I still don't really know what happened in that film. This evening, I considered renting it again, but quickly talked myself out of it as I realized that I'd jut be torturing myself (again). Instead, I indulged in an old favorite.



I rented To Wong Foo Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar just for kicks. There's something about the trio of Wesley Snipes, as Noxeema Jackson, Patrick Swayze, and John Leguizamo as Chi-Chi Rodriguez--ALL IN DRAG FOR THE ENTIRETY OF THE FILM--that tickles me. There's even a part with RuPaul in it. I always say that you can't go wrong with Rupaul (or ODB, may he rest in peace).

I had a brief period where I would repeatedly watch To Wong Foo and Pricilla: Queen of the Desert. Okay, maybe it wasn't so brief, but I just couldn't get enough. Drag Queens on road trips! Boas in the desert, driving in stilettos, introducing small towns to the joys of drag! What more can you ask for? Okay maybe I'm divulging too much info here, but my lowest of lows with the movie binging thing include my extended relationships with Clueless, Blade 2, and (sadly) Bring It On!

I also sometimes go on a spree. Right before coming to Korea I ended up watching all these films with Paul Giamatti playing a middle aged, yet fascinating, loser like in American Splendor, and Sideways.

Other times my movie binges are completely random. I'm having a vivid flashback to a time when I had to pay late fees for two films my sister and I had rented from TLA. I believe the guy behind the counter announced that Juwanna Mann and The Sound of Music were three days late being returned. Ooops... I just wanted to watch Juwanna Mann one more time.

I may have the worst or the most bizarre taste and habits when it comes to movies.

1 comment:

Rachel Lynn said...

I love vampire movies, so anything with even the crappiest vampire premise in it has me hooked, Blade, Wes Craven movies, etc. Plus I watch OCN every night. B movies galore!