Monday, November 28, 2005

magic juice

I started seeing my acupuncturist again on a regular basis. The change in weather messed my whole body up. I went because my hands started to feel achy and sore. I'm an old lady on the inside. I can feel when it's going to rain from the bursitis in my hip and the cold gets into my joints and makes me crabby.

We started some new therapy. Moxa placed on specific points. I have gotten used to the smoking wooden bowls on my stomach thing, but this is different. The moxa is like a short stubby incense stick. They are about the diameter of a pencil and no longer than an inch. At the end there's an adhesive sticker that looks like a reinforcer. The nurse sticks this thing on me and lights it up watching it burn down to my skin. This is supposed to put heat into certain points that have too much cold. All I know is that it leaves a little brown stain on my skin for like a day and it still smells of moxa. I'm not settled on whether I like the smell or not.



A few of my coworkers have come down with sinusitus, and I'm pretty sure I have the same. I figured I'd see if I could go the more natural route instead of just taking another round of antibiotics like I have done so many times in the past. I got some acupuncture on points on my left leg and foot. AND then I got some crazy package of dry herbs and a thick herb drink. First I have to take the dry stuff (it has the consistency of instant coffee mix) like it's a shot and follow it with the witch doctor juice. The drink comes in a pouch and should be warmed slightly. I wouldn't say it's delicious, but I wouldn't say it's the worst medicine I've had to take.

No comments: