Wednesday, January 19, 2005

squid balls

We ordered takoyaki at the bar. I was a pleasant surprise to find one of my favorite little treats from the East Village, originally from Japan, here in Seoul too. These little brown balls of fried... hmmm... what's in them? Maybe egg and something else? well, fried yumminess surrounds pieces of squid that float in the center. Usually they are covered with a little brown sauce, maybe teriyaki, mayo, and fish flakes. At the bar they also offered a sweet hot mustard as a dipping sauce and they taste a bit different. The Koreans added something to them to make them spicy. The boys were surprised I knew what it was. I was just happy.

Afterwards I saw a lady on the street with a takoyaki stand. Oh, the joys of street goodies are unending.

No comments: